Becoming a Sexual Assault Advocate is a rewarding and meaningful volunteer experience, providing absolutely critical services to victims of sexual assault in our community. Our advocates accompany sexual assault survivors to the hospital or work with individuals who call into our crisis line. It is a great way to gain experience in the field of Human Services. All volunteers are required by state law to attend a 40-hour sexual assault advocacy training. These trainings are generally held once or twice a year.
If you are interested in our next training dates and becoming an advocate please fill out the Volunteer Application and return to Erin Naughton, Volunteer Coordinator. Any questions about this training can be directed to Erin by phone 218-726-1442, ext.18 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
PAVSA offers excellent internship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. Interns can be involved in many of our programs based on their interests and availability. These opportunities include, but are not limited to: crisis line and hospital advocacy, support groups, outreach groups, community education, legal advocacy, youth advocacy, and organizing events and awareness campaigns.
- Strong commitment to victim/survivors and the cause of PAVSA
- Proactive attitude in finding work when unassigned and volunteering for duties when opportunities are provided
- Experience and/or skill working in an administrative position
- Experience and/or skill working with crisis situations
- Flexibility in scheduling and attitude.
Before applying please consider:
- Much of our work is crisis and/or needs based and available 24/7. Needs regarding coverage may be last minute, will require quick action, and will be on evenings/weekends.
- Because of the nature of our work, some interns may find themselves triggered by the things we encounter. It is important for interns to consider their tolerance of such topics before accepting a position.
- Sexual trauma history is not considered in acceptance of interns.
- If you have any concerns about your ability to fulfill any of the above duties it is recommended that you discuss the matter with your school internship supervisors prior to agreeing to the internship.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Vanessa at email@example.com. In the cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What are the requirements for your internship? (ex: hours, timeline)
- What would you bring to an internship at PAVSA?
- What would you hope to learn at PAVSA?
Application deadlines for each semester are:
Fall 2018: July 16th, 2018
Spring 2019: November 12th, 2018
Summer 2019: April 15th, 2019
Keep in mind that we have limited spots available, so get your resume and cover letter to us prior to the deadline! All interns are required to complete our state-mandated 40-hour sexual assault training.
40-Hour Adolescent/Adult Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Training
Save the dates: February 4-8, 2019 from 8am-5pm
Location: Essentia Health St. Mary’s Hospital Superior, 3500 Tower Avenue
Please direct questions or interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a Board Member
The aid and services which are so integral to PAVSA’s mission are made possible by donors like you. Whether it is your time, money or donation of goods every little bit of help is greatly appreciated! Please visit our Donate or Give MN page.